hello sometimes we slay dragons

Dark Moon Over Kahl

Saterienne
    Admin

Re: Dark Moon Over Kahl

Post  Saterienne on Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:37 am

“Bah, you’re thinking about it too much, we have to do or we’re done.” Lwyn retorts as she stares at the other woman, arms folded across her stomach. “Me and the new Norin can clear the prison if need be.” She adds before pursing her lips thoughtfully, frowning a little as she hangs her head, sighing. “Unless we start doing definitive actions, we’ll be locked in this back and forth with those things forever.” She adds, snorting softly.

“And I don’t know anything about politics, what would the mayor gain from letting them in?”
    Antinthe
    Admin

Post  Antinthe on Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:47 am

Azezeh snorts and folds her arms tighter, shaking her head. "We have to do something, but throwing two of you to death in the middle of the lake isn't going to get us anywhere. We need to slowly branch out and stomp down whatever sources of creatures there are. If we just go running across the island like a bunch of headless chickens, we're going to end up like Jericho. Believe it or not, I don't want you ending up like him."

With an unimpressed grunt, she pushes off of the wall and starts to wander around the bunks, sizing up the various wounded and otherwise waylaid. "He doesn't really stand to gain much, which is why it doesn't hold water. But if he's related at all, we have to find out. We'll start with the graveyard, clear out the more infested buildings in the city...bet there's a necromancer tied up in this somewhere. Probably more than one."
    Saterienne
    Admin

Post  Saterienne on Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:01 am

“Hmph.” Is Lwyn’s only response to Azezeh’s well-wishing before she sits on the floor next to her chosen cot and sighs, crossing her legs. “We’ll figure it out then.” She states flatly, closing her eyes. “I am going to take a moment to meditate and reflect. It may be best if you consult with Norin when he’s free of the wolves and sharks.” She nods slightly and takes a deep breath, the tattoos on her shoulders putting off a very subtle glow.

“If it is a necromancer, I will destroy them. Plain and simple.”
    Antinthe
    Admin

Post  Antinthe on Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:05 am

"We've been trying to figure it out for way too long. Time we start burning down graveyards and showing the forces of evil that we aren't going to roll over and let outselves be eaten. If Tharilil won't start making better judgment calls, then I'll stomp out there and start putting my sword into monster foreheads until we get answers." The paladin turns on her heel and starts to stomp her way towards the stairs noisily, despite all the ailing people in these lower levels. Sucks to be sick when nobody cares enough to stay quiet.

"Yeah, you've been trying for this long. I don't see why it's suddenly going to get any better." She calls out as she disappears into the main level of the chapel, doubtlessly moving off to track down Norin.
    Antinthe
    Admin

Post  Antinthe on Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:57 pm

Meanwhile, at the Council of Jerks

Rosemary and Korbick are chattier than their human counterpart, happy to try and direct people about and alleviate their fears. From their conversations, Norin would be able to glean a few easy facts: the city has been under siege for months now, civilian levels are amazingly low, and nobody seems to know why the forces of evil showed up when they did.
    Once Norin is milling about with the interest of helping them, however, they turn their attention to the ranger and spend a small chunk of time ignoring the wailing populace. All for the best, really.

"As much as we'd like to keep things low-key, we've mostly agreed that...things should escalate." The elf begins, speaking slowly, as if trying to piece together a million thoughts as he goes. "We've been on the defensive for months now. The longer we try to keep things stable, the more good people we lose, and the surrounding countryside is suffering for it. It's time for something more radical."

Tharilil turns and shakes his head, stepping off of the slightly raised platform, and moves down the stairwell just in time to bump shoulders with Azezeh on her way back up. Must be a lot of talking going on!
    Rosemary watches the man go, and speaks quickly in his absence. "Later this evening, we're going to send a few people out to burn the old graveyard behind the cathedral. We've cleared it out twice already, but it seems to be the place all the nasty folk are coming from." With a thoughtful tap at her chin, she adds, "Of course, I don't know how quickly we'll do it unless we have someone other than Lwyn to work. If you do choose to help, I'd like to ask you to try and help me keep an eye on the local wildlife. There may be...mutations, or they may be killed off by the rotting ones."
    Chicken Chaser
    Admin

Post  Chicken Chaser on Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:17 am

Nodding solemnly, Norin responds "You will have my aid in this task, you simply can not outlast the undead, so we will have to take the fight to them somehow."

Glancing over his shoulder at the retreating back of Tharili, Norin's brow furrows. "I understand Tharili's hesitation, a grave is sacred to all religions of the hallowed deities, and setting one ablaze could be seen as desecration. Seems we have little choice in the matter."

Turning back to face Rosemary and Korbick, his face a masque of defiance. "Tonight we will certainly have a battle on our hands, and with our Deities grace it will be a step towards winning this war."

With a flourish, he whirls about, tossing his cloak off on too a nearby table. Rolling up his sleeves, he faces the hall full of the frightened, the hungry, the downtrodden.

"Let us begin our work."
    Saterienne
    Admin

Post  Saterienne on Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:31 am

There’s the tale tell crash of something being knocked over along with a cry of surprise before some very audible swearing follows. After a few seconds, Lwyn emerges from the stairwell leading down into the basement, tightening the bandaged wrappings about her left forearm and hand as she stalks towards the dais one more. Her footsteps are wet and slappy, footprints left behind in her wake as she makes her way forward – luckily it just looks like water!

She looks at the remaining members in turn before looking at Norin, eyebrow raised thoughtfully before her hands dangle at her sides again, lips pursed thoughtfully. “What I miss?” she inquires before folding her arms across her stomach, fingers drumming against her forearms lazily and off beat.
    Antinthe
    Admin

Post  Antinthe on Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:42 am

A few people stop and peer in Lwyn's direction as she reappears, either about the sudden crashing noise or just the arrival of an elf. Not too many of those milling about, after all. Nothing is said immediately. Nobody wants to catch the fist to the face.

"Right, well." Azezeh rubs her nose as she takes her usual place, turning about to peer out of a half-broken window. "The graveyard is fairly close. I can lead you out there and watch your back, if you want. Don't want a bunch of fire bringing undead over to the graveyard and trapping you, if they're interested in that kind of thing. Guess it depends on what they were told to do."

Korbick gestures towards the stairwell. "There are a few unearthed coffins and a mausoleum. We'd like you to take a small barrel of oil, spread it over anything that might house more of the unsightly types, and...ignite it. Mostly the mausoleum. The rest is just insurance."

"Do you two need anything? We're stretched a little thin, but I imagine we can at least spare some basic supplies. The priests downstairs might have a potion of some sort to spare." The halfling helpfully chimes in, smiling. "Oh, and do remember to watch the spread of the fire. Can't go lighting the whole island ablaze!"
    Chicken Chaser
    Admin

Post  Chicken Chaser on Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:59 am

Glancing over at the recently re-appeared Lywn, Norin clasps his hands together. "I will need to go tell my comrade outside of the plans, as well as prepare my weapons, gather the oil, I will be back shortly."

Norin hurriedly moves off outside to Zook, nodding at the guard as he passes.

Approaching the wagon with swift strides he jumps up on the back and starts to dig through the pairs belongings. "Zook! me and Lywn have a task before us, to cleanse a nearby graveyard of the wicked undead. I was hoping you could go into the cathedral, as they can use some help keeping the people safe. It will keep you out of immediate harms way, and hopefully will bring some piece of mind to the people inside."

Stopping his rifling to shout a question at the door guard. "Is there any place reasonably safe to put our horse?!"
    Antinthe
    Admin

Post  Antinthe on Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:05 am

Zook has been camped out on the cart with his crossbow over his shoulder, alternating between watching the goods and watching the road at various intervals. Norin leaping into the cart is enough to startle the gnome and he spins around on his backside, looking at his hirer with a quirked eyebrow and a lost expression.

"Yeah, I...can do that." He speaks like a man greatly confused, and for good reason. "Guess I can just park the wagon beside the chapel and hope nobody loots it. Horse can kick a couple deaders for us, whatcha think-...oh." He shrugs and hops down, slinging the weapon over his back. "If you've got the horse, I'll go see what everyone is up to."

One of the door guards rolls his shoulders and peers about briefly. "There's the stables behind the church. Should be a few open slots for the horses, but make sure you put down the wooden divider so no critters get in without the horse getting a chance to stomp at 'em."
    Saterienne
    Admin

Post  Saterienne on Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:12 am

Lwyn watches as Norin zooms off, blinking rapidly as her ears pinned back in confusion before perking back up once more, attentive and wiggly. “I make no promises; fire is unbridled once it is lit.” Lwyn states as she rubs her chin thoughtfully, eyes narrowing. “As for things I will need…. A lantern is all – along with the fire starting materials.” She adds before nodding to herself and peers up at the good folks in front of her. “Maybe a few unlit torches as well for the purpose of throwing flames.” With that she cocks her hands on her hips and glances behind herself briefly before looking at her superiors again, expression somber.

“I still think we should wait until the morning to do this. What if we are beset by bloodsuckers while we work in the dark?” she states with a look of concern plastered on her face. “Norin killed a ghoul, yes, but I cannot vouch for his abilities against things with minds.”
    Antinthe
    Admin

Post  Antinthe on Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:28 am

"Oh, right. We'll make sure someone can get that, as well as the oil. We should have more than enough downstairs for this endeavor, maybe another two...or so. Might want to plan an excursion to find more after that point, though." Rosemary squeaks out as she waves over one of the temple's attendants, quickly explaining the situation, then points off towards the stairs. Off he goes quickly, disappearing down the stairwell with light footsteps.

Azezeh shakes her head and steps forward, checking the straps that keep her plate on. "We don't have time to wait around, Lwyn. If we keep waiting for the sun to come up, we're going to end up zombie food instead of vampire chow. Frankly, I'd rather wave around this bad boy than put up with the wait." She reaches behind herself, bringing around her sword, and holds it up in a reverse grip despite being larger than Rosemary. The hilt's pommel is shaped in the design of the holy symbol of Pelor, and she seems quite proud with its off-silver design. Must have been pricy. Back to her carrying sling it goes, and she steps forward to start parting the crowd.

In the meantime, the attendant comes bounding back up the stairs with a fairly small (the size of a watermelon or so) cask, as well as a small sack with several torches and what is hopefully a lantern. It's all offered up to the monk quickly.

"I'll be there to make sure nothing sneaks up on you, so you'll probably be fine. If there's a bloodsucker in the mausoleum...light him on fire." Az speaks with a single nod.
    Chicken Chaser
    Admin

Post  Chicken Chaser on Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:38 am

Norin directs the horse to the stable, unhitching it from its heavy burden and inters it in an open stall. Using the last of the fresh water in his barrel to fill its bucket and giving it some grain from the wagon, he draws on the knowledge of the beasts taught by the rangers of Ehlonna, ans soothes its jangled nerves.

"You will be safer here then you would be outside, hopefully I will see you in the morning." Norin whispered, securing the stable stall.

Norin hurries back to the wagon, making sure to grab his remaining arrows and his kukri. He then tosses most everything else into a large chest, leaps off the wagon and runs off, stopping only to latch the stable doors securely, back towards the cathedral entrance, and too the council within.
    Saterienne
    Admin

Post  Saterienne on Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:55 am

Lwyn takes the offered items without so much as a thought, cask tucked under her left arm with the sack of torches strung up and about her shoulders, the lantern held in her right hand. She looks like a pure-blooded arsonist with all of the items on her person and the fact she just looks a little unfriendly.

“If you insist, I’ll be keeping you to your word and if something bites me that is not a ghoul I’m going to haunt you.” Lwyn retorts to the departing human, snorting softly as she rolled her shoulders to get the sack of torches into a better place between her shoulder blades. “If there’s a vampire in there, I’ll snap his neck first before lighting him on fire.” She adds grimly before taking a deep breath and starts following after Azezeh, eyes narrowed as she peered out one of the nearby windows to gauge just how much twilight they possibly have left.

"Is there anything else you could possibly offer us since it's... just me and the new guy against what might invariably be a horde of gnashing ghouls? Maybe some explosives or barmaids - to distract them with of course, I heard vampires like the young ladies."
    Antinthe
    Admin

Post  Antinthe on Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:18 am

Thankfully, no one tackles the woman to take away her oil just yet. Soon, perhaps.

"I'd almost think you're trying to find an excuse to spend more time around me, Lwyn. Going soft?" The paladin inquires as she glances over her shoulder, chuckling slightly. First laugh she's made all day, doubtlessly! Out the door she steps, boots thudding loudly against the stone as she moves. Sneaking will not be easy with a paladin in tow, it seems.

The intern suddenly perks up and goes scurrying after the elf, holding up a second bag of things. "I, uh...I actually found a few extras that may help out! A few bottles of holy water, as well as some potions, uh...oh, and those oils you apply to things. For your hands, because you...don't use weapons...and I don't think there was a potion version." He admits sheepishly, but offers the bag over regardless before retreating.

"On that note, we wish you luck!" Rosemary yells, trying to be heard over the crowd.
    Chicken Chaser
    Admin

Post  Chicken Chaser on Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:25 am

In his rush, Norin almost runs into the steel incased holy warrior. Skidding to a stop, "It seems we are ready to beginning?" Norin inquires.
    Saterienne
    Admin

Post  Saterienne on Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:33 am

“More like trying to get away from you.” Lwyn replies bluntly as she pads after the armored one, snorting as she sidesteps a pew and looks up briefly before her ears perk up and she glances behind herself to the scurrying intern, blinking some more. As he rattles off the contents of the new container she reaches out to take it with her teeth since her hands are full and – if she’s permitted and does so – nods before turning back around to keep pace with Azezel, looking like some overburdened dog.

She blinks a few times as Norin reappears and walks up to him before standing up to her full height and leans forward, hinting that she wants him to take the bag out of her mouth.
    Chicken Chaser
    Admin

Post  Chicken Chaser on Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:41 am

Norin cocks and eyebrow as he gazes at the overburdened monk before taking the bag out of her mouth.

"It seems you have everything we need." Norin says as he turns to walk alongside the two ladies....the two women, as he increases his stride to keep pace.

As they walk, Norin glances at the many vials and bottles filled with various colors and textures of liquid.

"So what is our plan of assault? Just torch every suspicious looking thing we find?" He asks the paladin.
    Antinthe
    Admin

Post  Antinthe on Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:56 am

"Basically." Azezeh responds in blissful simplicity, clanking her way around the corner and nodding to the door guards. "Really, we just want everything in the mausoleum cleaned out. There's probably a few rotten ones wandering around above ground, but those are just a sidetrack more than anything else. I'll hang around behind the lines and make sure nothing comes through the fence, then you can handle whatever's inside. If Lwyn ends up eaten, just...yell, and I'll start scribbling something on a rough-hewn piece of wood."

With a chuckle, the paladin circles the building and wanders past the stables, which have seen better days. Weeds have started to peek up in whatever dirt is present, as well as between the cobblestones; from here, the misty haze makes it a little difficult to see too awfully far, along with the quickly-coming nightfall. Azezeh brings her sword around and unclips it from its travel strap, resting it across her shoulders as they walk.

Nearby, the vague outline of wrought iron fencework, mostly bent and half-ruined, can be made out. Atop the iron spikes are some still-clawing zombies, apparently stuck too far down to move, yet active enough to flail about uselessly. It bodes well for what lies within.
    Saterienne
    Admin

Post  Saterienne on Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:39 pm

As the sky continued to darken, Lwyn made it a priority to get her lantern lit. Grumbling and swearing to herself the entire way until the contraption erupts and bathes the immediate area in light. With an annoyed snort and another swear she attaches the lantern to one of the steel hoops dangling from the upper part of her pants and makes sure it’s secure before shuffling it about slightly so it’s more to the side than the fore. She plucks the torch sling out of her mouth where she had left it when she began to adventure of lighting the lantern and drapes it about her head so it’s dangling from her neck, granting the overburdened woman at least one free hand.

“If I end up eaten you should, at the very least, be halfway out of the cemetery.” She adds in grimly before sighing and looking up at the looming fence ahead and the cadavers… hanging out... on it. Lwyn grimaces visibly and shakes her head before plucking a torch from the sling, twirling it about in her hand lazily.

“This is going to be a busy night.”

Spot: 18 | Listen: 10 ))

Last edited by Maviaux on Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Chicken Chaser
    Admin

Post  Chicken Chaser on Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:49 pm

Norin casually readies his bow, watching the light dance across the struggling corpses atop the fence. Shaking off the night air, he stands straight, surveying the scene.

"A long night indeed." Norin murmurs through pursed lips, steeling himself for the task ahead.

(Surveying the scene, Spot:21)
    Antinthe
    Admin

Post  Antinthe on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:04 pm

The pair are roughly forty feet from where they stand to the outlying and ruined fence, which lacks any real sort of gate or entryway. Being a cemetery, there are no standing lights to help find one's way through, but weaving between headstones and wooden markers isn't all that difficult. There are several dirt paths that cut through the somewhat bare patch of earth, and several trees without leaves stand with a withered slump to them at the very best.

Both of the hunters have wonderful night vision, and even in the dim light, can make out more than what someone like Azezeh can; it's not completely dark, but definitely dim. The graveyard is long and narrow, likely about forty feet wide by several hundred long, with a small stone building standing in the center of things. Several of the undead shamble about in the graveyard aimlessly, and some stand around staring at the sky without a clue of what they should be doing. Must not be under anyone's direct control at the moment.

"You two head on in. I'll make sure nothing follows you. If any vampires show up to give you a hard time, they'll have to get through me to get there." The paladin boasts bravely, shooting the two a supportive hand gesture and a smirk - but that goes away quickly enough. "Just make sure you start lighting fires soon, so I can see what's going on in there. I don't think my eyes are as sharp as yours, Lywn-...or even your new friend's, actually."

With that, she stops her march and turns about, casually surveying the scene. "Good luck."
    Saterienne
    Admin

Post  Saterienne on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:18 pm

“Don’t need luck; this is going to require skill.” Lwyn replies as she walks right by Azezeh and into the cemetery beyond. She opens the front panel of her lantern and flips the torch about before sticking the oiled end into the device. As it catches she turns it back around and holds it out to Norin to take before grabbing another torch and repeating the process, keeping this one for herself.

“First things first, we need to gather them up so we can burn the majority of them all at once.” She states as she scans over the shambling dead, lips pursed thoughtfully. We only have this one cask of oil so we’ll have to use it wisely….” She looks around slowly before frowning, noting that the majority of grass – living and dead – is gone.

“Ideas?”
    Chicken Chaser
    Admin

Post  Chicken Chaser on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:37 pm

Norin reaches over a takes the torch out of the monk's hand, hefting it in his hand, he ponders their options, gazing out at the shuffling horde.

"....Well, I can always shoot one with an arrow, might get them coming towards us?", Norin muses aloud. "Certainly not the best idea, but with his large open area, I can't see how we get them together without one of us wearing a steak suit." frowning,"and it probably will be me."
    Saterienne
    Admin

Post  Saterienne on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:45 pm

“…As hilarious as that would be, probably not needed. Maybe a loud noise?” Lwyn offers before looking about, eyes going skyward briefly before she lets out a soft huff. “Regardless, we need to get a fire going.” She adds before setting the cask down and planting a foot atop it to keep it from going anywhere.

“I know all of nothing about archery, but maybe a well-placed arrow against something noisy somewhere will get their attention?” she inquired while spinning her torch about, snorting softly as she peers over at a shambling corpse.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:16 am