hello sometimes we slay dragons

Dark Moon Over Kahl

Antinthe
    Admin

Re: Dark Moon Over Kahl

Post  Antinthe on Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:52 am

Again, Norin isn't doing so well. His mace whiffs as the ghoul throws itself flat, cackling with sadistic glee as it again manages to avoid re-meeting its maker. Cheeky little bastard, isn't it?

Yet across the way, Lwyn is doing quite well with herself. Despite being battered around a little, the sudden focus seems to bring great rewards for the monk. Her spinning axe kick slams the downed zombie's forehead against the cobbles with a frightening amount of force, fracturing a weakened skull and destroying what little brain matter it had left, leaving it to dribble ichor from its mouth and lie still. The second zombie looks as if it intends to latch onto the jumping woman, only to be denied with a very dramatic heel to the same wounded temple as before. It staggers and slams into a stall with a dry thud, throwing up dust and splintered wood, before dropping like a sack of hammers.

The ghoul is the only combatant left, and it seems hell-bent on taking *something* down before it's ended - yet it doesn't seem to realize it lost its only backup. As it throws itself forward again, it re-attempts to smack Norin around with filthy clawed little mitts.
    No luck. It smacks the ground and skids around like a disgusting, half-naked ape, drooling a mixture of reddish blood and grayish-black goo as it braces for another dodge. Or attack!

Zook raises his crossbow and takes aim, but no shots yet.
    Chicken Chaser
    Admin

Post  Chicken Chaser on Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:01 am

Knuckles white from gripping the mace so hard his hands might explode, Norin assess the situation. A quick glance to the right shows two corpses in a few more pieces than before, and in front of him a cackling, drooling, piece of festering GARBAGE! HAVE AT THE, KNAVE!!

Norin lunges at the ghoul with a shout, swinging with all his might.

( Attack: 14 Damage : 5)
    Antinthe
    Admin

Post  Antinthe on Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:09 am

Surprisingly, there's contact. In the brief moment before the mace meets the ghoul's chin, it holds a very terrified, distant expression. The calm "Oh no!" before the storm, more or less, before the loud crack of a jaw being broken as several pounds of metal make their acquaintance with flesh and bone quite forcefully. The sickly creature throws its head back and gets a good half-second of hangtime before crashing down to the ground again, spasming and going still as it drools all over itself in its death throes.

Zook takes a quick peek around, shrugs, and starts to unready his crossbow. Brave, brave Zook.

(Combat over!)
    Saterienne
    Admin

Post  Saterienne on Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:15 am

Lwyn snorts and slinks out of her awesome-pose, both feet planted against the ground once more after she’s stepped off the zombie’s mashed head. She lifts an arm and examines the bite wound she received before shrugging and taking a deep breath, kamas whipped out to the sides to clean the ichor off of them before they vanish under her battle dress again and her hands come up empty once more. She dusts her palms off against one another and takes yet another deep breath before forming her left hand into a fist and covers it with her right, holding them in front of her chest as she closed her eyes and goes completely still.

A few scant seconds later she’s moving again along the path towards the temple, hand clasped against the wound to stifle the blood flow until it begins to taper off by itself.

“As you can see, the situation is completely under control.” Sarcasm? Without a doubt.
    Chicken Chaser
    Admin

Post  Chicken Chaser on Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:29 am

Norin, chuckling at her bravado, reaches a shaky hand into his knap sack. Procuring a vial of a murky blue liquid, he presents it too Lywn.

"This should help with your leak there." Norin says with a tired smile, his face slightly paler than normal. Shaking, though not too far out of breath, he starts to massage the left side of his chest with his free hand.

"Zook, get me a jug of water and some cloth, so we can clean Lywn's wound." Norin looks at her clutching her side. "We have to be sure the ghoul didnt leave anything to fester."

(presents potion of cure light wounds to Lywn)
    Antinthe
    Admin

Post  Antinthe on Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:37 am

Zook quirks a brow as he looks between the two, still holding the steed's reins in one hand, fiddling with the crossbow with the other. He sets it all aside and leans back to start rifling through the stock of supplies, eventually finding a roll of bandage, but hasn't quite gotten to the water part of the equation yet.

"You any good at patching people up?" He asks casually, stretched out in a somewhat goofy position as he searches.

The road to the temple is growing shorter, metaphorically speaking. A stone structure with a tall bell spire can be seen over the tops of shop rooftops, and a light of some brightness gently flickers in the rafters there.
    Saterienne
    Admin

Post  Saterienne on Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:41 am

Lwyn stops mid-stride again and cranes her head about to peer at the fellow and his offering. She stares for a long moment, blinking only when a speck of dust or dirt manages to cram itself into her eye. An eyebrow is raised before she snorts and narrows her gaze slightly then…. She actually turns about fully and walks over to take the offered potion with her free hand, looking it over as if it’s some kind of disease-in-a-bottle.

“No need, we have to keep moving, I’ll tend to my own wounds at the temple.” Lwyn replies even as she rips the cork out of the potion's top with her teeth and chugs the contents in a far too clean manner.

(Hit Points Restored: 6)
    Chicken Chaser
    Admin

Post  Chicken Chaser on Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:50 am

"Fair enough." Norin says, rolling his shoulders so his muscles don't seize up. "Zook, axe the bandage and water, it can wait an hour or so."

Walking over and gathering up his bow, he stops to survey the scene. "That was very impressive fighting there Lywn." He says, stopping to brush off some dirt form his bow. "You certainly outclassed me." His face twists into a rueful smirk.

"However, I seem to be quite the threat to market stalls."
    Saterienne
    Admin

Post  Saterienne on Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:58 am

Lwyn tosses the emptied potion aside, the glass container shattering on the stones underfoot as she continued on towards the temple at a much more brisk pace. She no longer has to cradle her wounded side and flexes her right arm on occasion as if to make sure everything is still attached before her gaze drifts up along the path leading to their intended goal.

“I wouldn’t say outclassed, I just got lucky… and upset.” She clears her throat and sighs before shaking her head, lips pursed.

“Quite so, luckily those stalls are probably abandoned and there will be no debtors coming to collect for damages. Maybe.” She shrugs as she keeps stomping along, the path to the temple looking relatively clear and zombie-free as far as the monk can tell.
    Antinthe
    Admin

Post  Antinthe on Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:08 am

With an exasperated sigh, the hired help tosses the bandage wrap over his shoulder and lets it land where it may in the cart, then scoots the makeshift carriage forward with another snap of some leather. The rhythmic, pleasant clacking noise returns in full force, and the rest of the trip to the chapel is a fairly quiet, uneventful affair - aside from the occasional spooked whinny of the horse, of course.

After a few brief turns and some hustling away from destroyed cottages, they'd make it to their destination with relative ease. Moss clings to the walls of the fairly large chapel, and two stone statues depicting the holy symbol of St. Cuthbert stand on either side of the entrance, held off of the ground atop a small raised porch with a few stone steps. Posted next to the steps are a pair of men, one with a shortspear, the other holding a shield and carrying a sword upon his hip. As the cart rolls up on the chapel like it's nobody's business, the fairly young-looking chap with the sword raises a hand and motions for everyone to come to a halt, stepping forward a smidgen.

"State your business-...oh. It's you, Lwyn." The elf would recognize this man as one of the rotating door guards; truth be told, she never caught his name, but his fairly fresh face is familiar. "Just had another gaggle of geese wander inside, so the heads are a little busy at the moment. Think they wanted to have a word with you, though."

After a brief pause, he flits his attention over to Norin, nodding to the man smoothly. "I take it you're a friend of hers? We're always looking for more help, if you're interested." The doors swing open as he speaks, with some nameless fellow from the boat stepping out, adjusting the leather straps on his armor as he moves. Inside, it's fairly easy to spot very large crowds of people speaking to one another amidst pews and by broken stained glass windows, with several people in fairly official-looking regalia standing on a raised dais and trying to carry on six conversations at once.

"Guess I kin wait outside, if you need me to." Zook rubs his forehead and yawns, taking a paranoid glance over his shoulder.
    Saterienne
    Admin

Post  Saterienne on Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:18 am

Lwyn looked about ready to cold-cock the guard as he raised a hand in her direction, armed cocked back and hand curled into a fist – she’s clearly not in the mood. As the potential storm passes without anyone losing half of their skull Lwyn sighs and stands up straight, running a hand through her hair thoughtfully before peering in through the open door, wiggling her nose.

“Of course they want to see me; they always want to see me.” The elven monk complains with an exasperated sigh, folding her arms across her stomach. With that she starts moving forward again, stopping as Norin is addressed. She peers over her shoulder and stares at the fellow for a long second before tilting her head slightly with a “Come on.” attached, attention drifting to the guard once more. “Right, he’s with me.” She adds before shuffling into the temple and the crowds it held.
    Chicken Chaser
    Admin

Post  Chicken Chaser on Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:25 am

Eyebrow raised, Norin starts to talk to respond to the guard, looks at Lwyn already moving, shrugs, and follows silently.

Norin keeps an eye on the milling crowd and on their shepherds, trying to take in as much information about his surroundings as mentally possible.
    Antinthe
    Admin

Post  Antinthe on Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:40 am

The inside of the chapel is fairly spacious, but there are enough people packed in to make maneuvering around a slight chore. Dirty peasants and well-dressed noblewomen alike are spread throughout the hall, some sitting and reading quietly, others arguing with priests over the source of the outbreak of horrors without a care for proper tone or inside voices. People are angry, scared, and above all, somewhat needing of a long bath.

Working towards the dais wouldn't take long, just careful steps to avoid barreling through angry woodsmen and disheveled fishermen. Once close, it's clear to see that those either in charge or just happiest to be on the tallest platform in the room are busily speaking with clerics and clergymen alike. There are four people of note, in no particular order: A slender elven man in scale armor with a longsword and shield, bearing a tabard of Corellon over his armaments; a fairly well-muscled but short halfling woman in leathers with a scimitar close at hand and leaves in her hair; a woman wearing enough plate to make a smaller man blush with a greatsword on her back and a scowl on her face; finally, a fairly sour-looking and slightly stocky man with mace and shield, clad in darker armor, with a large holy symbol of St. Cuthbert dangling from his beltline. They all look some degree of stressed, tired, or downright agitated.

When Lwyn approaches, the human woman is the first to speak, stepping forward with her arms crossed over her stomach. "Is the road clear? Is the tag-along with you?" Her voice is gravelly and a little on the unpleasant side, and she does not seem to be the most chipper of chapettes at the moment. "We're not getting anything done if you keep running back in here every hour or two-...you're covered in blood."
    Astute observation, that.

"We need someone to clear the graveyard anyway." Cuthbert's follower is quick to add, gesturing with his free hand. "Her timing is perfect."
    Saterienne
    Admin

Post  Saterienne on Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:50 am

Lwyn practically scowls when she’s addressed, hands forming into fist briefly before loosening up. Her ears pin back and she plants a foot up on the outer rim of the dais, pointing at the floor under the feet of the important folks as she speaks.

“Yes the path is clear because you louts can’t hold up to your part of the bargain and I have to do it.” She grumbles, scowling even more before taking a step back, folding her arms across her stomach. “And yes, he is with me, he wishes to aid us in ‘our’ endeavors of curing this blighted and god forsaken land.” She adds before looking herself over briefly, shrugging. “Well, yes. Comes with cleaning up the unliving from the streets.” She retorts thoughtfully before frowning even harder.

“I…We just cleared the bloody path to the temple and you’re already sending me off on another task? Can I at least have my wounds tended to beforehand?” she inquires with an obvious hint of irritation in her voice. “And can this good fellow be properly inducted beforehand as well?” She motions to Norin with a waggle of her fingers, frowning. “He managed to down one of the bigger cadavers by himself, which should could plenty for initiation.”
    Chicken Chaser
    Admin

Post  Chicken Chaser on Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:00 am

Norin steps forward, casually dusting himself off and adjusting his weapons.

"She was bitten by a ghoul, and while I had a potion on hand to heal the physical injury, I wanted to make sure no disease festered." He said to no one member in particular.

"As for me I am Norin Gar Hess, Ranger of Ehlonna, and I have come to aid the people here in ridding themselves of this necromantic plague." Norin said calmly, clasping his hands behind his back.

Antinthe
    Admin

Post  Antinthe on Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:10 am

The council members fall silent as Lwyn angrily retorts, only for the four of them to spend a few short moments spitting lines back and forth - it's an angry, garbled mess, and nobody seems to know what anyone else really wants. When Norin steps forward, they all shut up in near-unison and listen, with a variety of reactions. First and foremost, the halfling woman perks up at the mention of Ehlonna, and is the first to step forward with a courteous bow of her head. A single leaf flutters down to the stonework as she does so, and the cleric on the end scowls in a very grumpy manner.

"Pleased to meet you, Norin. I'm Rosemary." Her voice is a little squeaky, and is almost lost in the drone of the chapel's noise. "It's very nice to finally meet another worshiper! One with a level head on his shoulders, no less." As she straightens back up, there's a small smile on her face that doesn't quite fade away. "The elf is Korbick, who follows the teachings of Corellon Larethian. We represent the more...natural worries of this city's members, I think I can safely say."

"I'm Tharilil, and this is my temple." The human shoots off his mouth quickly, gesturing even more widely. "We're all here under my roof to try and keep these people safe and make sure the law is upheld in a time of crisis. What goes on in the forests is far less important."

"Now isn't the time, you oaf, Lwyn is hurt. Preach to the choir for a while and the adults can finish up actual business." The paladin is quick to hush the cleric, stepping down off of the dias as her arms unfold. She moves on in and starts to inspect the monk, looking for any obvious wounds - she probably wouldn't find much other than blood, all things considered. "We've been worrying over some new developments and I think we're all a little sleep deprived. How about we head downstairs and get you looked at? It'd be easier to talk in the basement anyway." Her frown remains, but at least there's a hint of concern to be had.

As an aside, she nods to Norin. "I'm Azezeh. Try not to take what Tharilil says to heart, he's got a bigger mouth than a brain in his head sometimes."
    Saterienne
    Admin

Post  Saterienne on Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:19 am

As the members fall into their bout of bickering, Lwyn claps a hand over her face and grumbles loudly, grinding her palm into her eye as she clearly worked to keep her always flailing temper restrained. Luckily, Norin interjects before any more voices are added to the garble of arguing and all is stilled. As The four go about introducing themselves, Lwyn takes a moment and prods at where her wound was – obviously not very well versed in the use of potions beyond ‘drink’.

As she’s mentioned again, though, Lwyn perks up and blinks a few times before holding her hands up. “I’m not as injured as I thought, it seems, but we should probably go into the basement before I slip and slam my fist into someone’s mouth again.” Again? Oh dear. With that she turns about and starts off through the crowds again, hands clasped behind her back as she took several deep breaths.
    Chicken Chaser
    Admin

Post  Chicken Chaser on Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:24 am

As Lywn starts to head off, Norin speaks up, "I'll stay up here a bit and try and help out up here, Lywn, see you in a bit."

Norin turns and starts talking to the remaining trio as Lywn and Azezeh head to the basement.
    Antinthe
    Admin

Post  Antinthe on Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:32 am

The remaining three council members are more than happy to draw Norin into conversation - or the nonhumans are, at least - and happily chatter away with him as the other two leave, filling him in on small details like the current state of the city, the overcrowding of the chapel, and other problems. Other civilians start to move back in to speak to the religious leaders as well, and things get very noisy all over again.

At the same time, Azezeh falls in behind Lwyn, walking with her arms crossed. It's apparently her habit. For now, she keeps fairly quiet even as they descend the small stairwell that heads down a flight, takes an abrupt ninety degree left turn, then goes down a few more steps. It opens up into a fairly wide and packed basement, with large crates of supplies in one corner, and the rest of the floor space seems to be dedicated to packing as many bunked cots together as possible. A number of people are already downstairs, including clerics and priests of various religions, currently all working together to tend with a fair number of sick and injured people.

"He's getting more ignorant with his proposed plans." The paladin breaks the silence suddenly, rapping her knuckles against the plate on her arms. "Still thinks he can strong-arm us just because he was the head cleric here, but I'm not having any of it. He'd be happy to let the slums burn as long as the law were upheld in the process. Jackass." Such a cheery, lawful lady! She raises her hands and claps a few short times, barking out a "Hey! Can I get some attention for a wounded soldier over here?!" before dropping them again, grumbling this and that about wounded masses and too many beds.

One of the clergymen comes scurrying over; it's a very young man, probably barely out of his teens, with sandy hair and a fairly serious expression, cloaked in heavy robes and carrying a prayer book in one hand and a healer's kit in the other. He gestures for Lwyn to move towards a nearby cot and starts to set up his wares.
    Saterienne
    Admin

Post  Saterienne on Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:42 am

“Could move into the mausoleum once the graveyard is cleared.” Lwyn states thoughtfully as she rolls her right arm about in the socket, muscles tensing as she does so. “It’s fairly spacious and empty considering the bodies interred there have long since wandered out. Let the asshole have his temple.” She adds as her walk becomes a little more slouched, arms hanging at her sides as some lose bandaging dangles from them.

“Norin is a little bit of a lout but he’s useful.” She says once the cleric is called over and she sits on the edge of the cot, lifting her arm to show where she was nibbled at. “I suppose he could be worse, he seems pretty genuine in wanting to help her – not to mention that he killed a ghoul, the one that bit me.” She wiggles her nose and snorts, eyes narrowing.
    Antinthe
    Admin

Post  Antinthe on Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:49 am

"Great plan, except for the part where it leaves him in charge of all the civilians here. I can't grab them and stuff them in the mausoleums, there's just nowhere near enough room. Rosemary and Korbick aren't exactly strong-willed enough to call out the terrible plans when they show, so I'm not going to turn this carriage wreck over willingly." She waves her hand around every so slightly, but she's just not moving much. It's probably the whole plate mail thing.

The priest carefully pulls aside whatever clothing needs to be moved so he can inspect the wound, which has likely been mostly healed up, thanks to Norin's potion. He's gentle and careful, even as he flips open a tiny vial and dunks a sprig of herbs into it, then swabs the afflicted area. After a short wait, he takes a deep breath and leans back, rubbing his chin. "It's not bubbling. Doesn't seem to be infected, just dirty."

Azezeh nods quickly, leaning against the wall with a heavy thump. "Glad you found another one to help out. Jericho died trying to save some shopkeeper who was trapped in his above-shop apartment. Bunch of ghouls crawled all over him. We're losing numbers fast, so we need to clear out where the rotters are coming from. Graveyards, mostly. Might need to dredge the canals." She shudders and shakes her head, obviously not finding that suggestion tasteful - even though she made it. "Did he really kill a ghoul, though? You're not just saying that?"
    Saterienne
    Admin

Post  Saterienne on Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:58 am

Lwyn snorts and furrows her brow, probably taking what the other woman said as sarcasm. She doesn’t retort, though, and simply watches the priest with a raised eyebrow before her attention drifts back to Azezeh, nodding.

“As long as we don’t bother doing it at night… we won’t be able to see them.” She blinks a few times and squirms in place before nodding at the priest once she’s given the all green, looking back to the armored woman in short order. “And he did, I only managed to prick it once, he finished it off… well, no, it was still rather healthy so he fought it and destroyed it.” She wiggles her nose and sighs before shaking her head again, raising a hand afterwards.

“Another idea, we could retake the old governor’s manor on the far side of the port, it’s only been barricaded for… what, five months? Maybe the infestation has lessened.”
    Antinthe
    Admin

Post  Antinthe on Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:07 am

"We don't really have much of a choice." Azezeh's frown deepens. "Not that I want any of ours out after dark, but some of this is going t have to be done quickly. I know for a fact that we're going to need to get the old graveyard behind the chapel cleared out one last time, and this time, it's going to stay clear. We're going to light the whole mess on fire. We'll make sure it's contained, but it's all going up." The paladin waves her hand about, mimicking the curl of smoke whisping towards the sky, but keeps her attention on the wounded woman.

The priest packs up his belongings and bows to the two women, scurrying off quickly. Az steps in to take over, rubbing her hands together briefly, then pats Lwyn on the shoulder. Light sparks from her fingertips and abruptly surges into her torso, throwing off a bright glow as it seeks out any boo-boos that need to be fixed up. When the healing is done, she just shuffles back to the wall and resumes her leaning like it never happened.

"Dunno about the mansion. It was falling apart by the time we boarded it up, and I don't think almost half a year of terrible weather has helped that any." She rubs her chin, eyes falling to the floor. "We need another building with a big, well-barricaded entrance. Plus a basement. Mansion has too many windows to break in through. Something like another chapel, or maybe...I don't know. I just dunno. Some old temple."

Last edited by Kialee on Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:18 am; edited 1 time in total
    Saterienne
    Admin

Post  Saterienne on Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:17 am

Lwyn looks a little apprehensive when the armored woman moves closer but it passes quickly enough when she’s healed, the area the bite had once taken up showing a bit of a lingering glow under her skin. “Probably for the best, fire is one thing we have plenty of.” She adds, rubbing at her side briefly before standing back up as if she has a deathly fear of being idle too long. She stretches and bounces in place a little before throwing a quick one-two punch, leaning back onto her left leg and going up on one foot before snapping out with a flurry of kicks and varying degrees of height. With that done she nods and goes limp again, standing there like some dark skinned ape before standing up straight again.

“If we could get a decent ferrying system in place, we could possibly use the prison off-shore. Even if the cadavers could swim the chances of them getting into it are null. That’s not counting for anything with a little more gray matter, though.”
    Antinthe
    Admin

Post  Antinthe on Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:26 am

"Problem is, there are the flying critters to watch out for. I haven't seen many, but I know they're up there. I've seen at least one thing that looked like a cloak with a tail flying about overhead, scoping out targets. Made some weird noises. Undead might not make it over, but the fact remains. Plus, we'd have to clear THAT out, too. We're stretched as it is, and that's a good several miles from here."

A sort of disinterested stare is given to Lwyn as she goes into practice mode, and the paladin seems content to laze about like a bug in a rug. "We...may have to go to the mansion even if we do move elsewhere. Don't repeat this, but people are talking like the mayor may have had something to do with all of the activity in the city. It almost makes sense, as only he or the city guard could have let so many creatures in."

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:15 am